Sunday, August 5, 2018

Chapter 2


I worked at a burger joint at the local mall and thank God the mall closed at 9pm. I was bushed. I looked up from cleaning some tables and saw Sheila and Anne walking up.


"K, what time do you get off tonight?" Michele asked.


"About 9:30," I replied, "why?"


"No reason," Sheree said, "We just wanted to walk you to your car."


"That's cool," I said, "You guys will wait for me then?"


"Yep," they both replied.


I stretched after putting everything away, grabbed my purse and walked out the door to meet Sheree and Michele.


"So, what's up?" I asked, yawning.


"Not much. We were just here at the mall, so we thought we'd wait for you," Michele said.


"Cool. Man I'm beat. I just want to get home and sleep," I said, tiredly.


Sheree said, "You work too hard."


"I know, but my parents can't afford extra surf stuff," I replied.


"So, can you come with us to the mall tomorrow? There's a dance coming up at school and I want to go look at new clothes," Michele said.


"Uuumm, I guess. I'm not sure I'm going," I said. Inside I felt a little bad as no one had asked me, but it was just a dance where it didn't matter if one asked before hand. "What time do you wanna go?"


Sheree said, "Around noon. I'm sleeping in since it's Saturday."


"Can you guys pick me up? My truck isn't big enough for all of us." I asked.


"Sure," Sheree said.


With hugs all around, I said, "OK. I'll see you tomorrow."


**************


I leave my drapes up in my room so the sunlight will help wake me up. I stretched and rubbed my eyes, and looked over at the clock....6am. MMmmm....I rolled over and stared out the window at the sunrise. I debated over whether to go surfing or sleep in.
Surfing...sleep...surfing...sleep. SURFING. I got up, put on a bathing suit and a pair of shorts and a shirt over it, slipped on my flip flops and went to the kitchen.


My dad was in the kitchen, sitting at the table drinking coffee and reading the paper. "Good morning Sweetheart."


"Good morning Daddy," I said, kissing him on the cheek.


"Where are you off to today?" he asked.


"I am going surfing, then later, I am going to the mall with Michele and Sheree."


"OK, but make sure you get your chores done later and be back in time to help your Mom with dinner."


"No prob Dad. We are going to the mall around noon, so I should be back in time to help Mom with dinner. 5 at the latest."


"OK. Be careful."


"I will," I mumbled, a piece of toast in my mouth, as the back screen door slammed shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment