Sunday, August 5, 2018

Chapter 3


I had been on the water for about a half an hour when I saw a new person paddle out. There were only a few surfers on the water, all people I knew. As the person got closer, I saw it was a guy. Even closer, I saw he was a really good looking guy. Young, but seriously well built. It was all I could do not to stare. He had long, dark blonde hair, strong face with a mustache, and big guns. He had on a sleeveless wet suit and his biceps were incredible. Man he was a big guy.


I decided I should catch a wave before I embarrass myself, but just as I was about to stand up on my board, as I caught the wave, I heard a loud "HEY STICK!" Damn. I was trying to keep my mind on my surfing so I didn't fall, while at the same time racking my brain for who that guy could be. I decided to ride into shore and wait for the guy who called me that name. I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was a friend before I or any of my friends kick his ass for calling me a name.



I stood on the beach, my board stuck in the sand next to me. I unzipped the top part of my suit and took it off, letting it hang at my waist as I watched him surf. His style seemed so familiar. The name ‘Stick’ repeated over and over in my mind. Then it came. The V8 moment. Oh My God! It was my friend James Hetfield. He was a couple of years older than me but he used to live by us and he was the one who taught me how to surf.



He finally came up on shore. He stuck his board in the wet sand just beyond the water line and stood there, smiling, showing these big beautiful teeth, underneath his mustache. He acted like he totally expected me to know who he was. Of course I did now. I smiled and ran, taking a flying leap into his arms. Thank God, he had grown or I would have knocked him to the ground.



Laughingly I said, "JAMES!" as he swung me around, to keep from falling. My happiness to see him stemmed from him and I being very close. He was my best friend for awhile and he totally put up with all my surfing questions. His patience was amazing.



He held me at arms length and said with a smirk, "I guess you are a lumpy stick now." His eyes skimming my body, mostly my chest.



I squeezed a bicep and said, "You're pretty lumpy yourself." mentally noting a more noticeable lump.



"So what are you doing here? How did you find me?" I fired off quickly, as the two of us walked back to my board.



"Whoa. One question at a time. I found you by that crappy, little blue truck."



"Hey," I said with pretend indigence, "that truck may look like crap, but it runs good."



James chuckled.



"SSooooo, what brings you back here?" I asked. And as an afterthought, "Where have you been. You never told me where you were going when you left."



His faced hardened for a second, then his smile came back. I'll be lucky if he tells me anything,” I thought. He had always been a closed person. It was always hard to get him to talk about his feelings.



James continued. "I went up north. I've been in San Francisco." He sighed, then continued, "There is so much to tell. I met up with a guy named Lars and we started a heavy metal band, and we've been touring for awhile."



"That is awesome James," I said. "So do you want to tell me about that look on your face and that sigh?"



"No, It's cool," He said, evasively.



"OK. You can always tell me later."



"K, do you want to come to see our concert?" James asked. "I can get you backstage passes and front row tickets."



"Sure. I would love to come see you play. Can I bring some friends?"



"Um, probably. How many?"



"Five, including me."



"I can do that. Do you still live in the same place?"



"I do. You should come for dinner tonight. My parents would love to see you again."



"No, but thanks. I actually have to be in L.A. later at the record studio. I just came out here for a bit of relaxation and to see if you still remembered all I taught you," James said smiling. "I'll send the tickets and the passes to your place. The concert is at the L.A. Forum next Friday night."



I thought that is the night of the dance. Man I am going to the concert. Now I just have to get Sheila and Anne to go. We had finally made it back to my truck. James helped me put my board in the back. "James do you need a ride anywhere?"



"No, I have a car, but thanks anyway." James came up and gave me a hug and said goodbye.



I watched as he drove away. I had an unsure feeling of what role he was going to play in my life. I didn't even know the name of his band.



1 comment:

  1. That would be a dream come true- to get concert tix like that!!

    ReplyDelete