Thursday, August 9, 2018

Chapter 4

Later on that day found the three of us in a clothing store at the mall, giggling our asses off.
"Ooooo, check out his green neon mini skirt," Sheree said holding it up to her.
Michele and I giggled and said, "That is ssooo short!"
"And what is with all this neon?" I asked. "Is this a new trend or something?" I thought the whole neon thing icky. Gimmy a good pair of denim anything and a t shirt any day.
"Hey guys, let's go. I want to go over to the book store. I want to see if they have any new surf magazines," I said heading back out to the mall, hoping they would follow me. My ulterior motive was to check out the heavy metal magazines and see what it was all about so I didn't seem too ignorant of it. As we got to the magazine rack at the store I moved slowly from the outdoor stuff to the music side. Now that I look at the covers, they look a lot like what Diane reads. Then......I saw one with James on the front! I couldn't believe it! The headline said 'METALLICA'. I picked up the magazine and started looking for the article. Sheree and Michele were in front of the fashion section, so I had to call out.....
"Hey guys, come over here a sec."
Michele and Sheree moved over and said, "What's up?"
"Um, what do you guys think of heavy metal music?" I asked. I had heard it but I wasn't really into any music since I didn't really have time to 'get into it'.
Sheree said, "I don't know. I guess it's OK. I like the Go's Go's myself. Top 40 stuff."
Michele, quiet, didn't answer right away. I looked up and she seemed a little embarrassed or something. She was blushing slightly.
"Michele?" I inquired.
"OK, promise you won't laugh?" She asked looking at the two of us.
"No, I won't laugh."
Michele looked at us both in the eye with this gleam in her eye and said in a strong whisper, "I LOVE HEAVY METAL MUSIC!"
I looked at her, then at the magazine cover. I turned it around and showed it to her and asked, "What about them?" pointing to the band on the front cover.
Michele's eyes got as wide as saucers. "I love them. I have a couple of their albums. I would give anything to see them in concert next week instead of going to the school dance."


"What would you say if I told you that I know this guy (pointing to James) and that I have secured front row tickets and back stage passes?"

1 comment: