Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Chapter 15


It was Sunday. We had the BBQ as planned. I talked Diane and the girls into paying a couple of songs for the guests. Candi had called and said the Band agreed to come. The boys loved the idea of free food. We had Josie, Laurie, Anita, and Diane of Twilight. Nikki, his parents and the band. Bret and Bobby also showed up. There was all kinds of food, as my parents loved to cook. Nikki's parents brought some food also. My dad was working at the BBQ and my mom mingling, being the great hostess that she was.

I was out front greeting Colleen, who had just shown up, when this big van pulls up. We watched as the driver came around and open the door. Candi was the first to climb out. We ran to each other screaming and hugging. In the middle of our 'you look so good' 'I've missed you' session, I look up to see five really good looking guys step out of the van. Colleen had moved up behind me, not wanting to miss out on the introductions.

"Let me introduce you to the band," Candi said, extending her hand to a majorly cute blonde. "Jon this is my best friend Karen. Karen this is Jon Bon Jovi. He is the lead singer of Bon Jovi."

I shook hands with Jon, managing not to stammer, "Nice to meet you."
HE smiled this...this...SMILE! (Oh My God!) and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Colleen and I got to meet the rest of the band and then I led everyone to the back yard where the party was. I introduced the band to my parents and then let them fend for themselves for a moment. I led Candi off to the side so we could catch up for a bit.

"Candi, you are so lucky," I said. "Those guys are gorgeous! How can you stand it?" I finished in amazement.

"Don't I know it. Those guys are incredibly talented. They are on the verge of stardom. I know it," Candi said proudly. "K, do you want to know a secret?" she whispered.

"Yes. You know I won't tell." I said.

"Jon and I are seeing each other," She said softly, looking at Jon with love in her eyes.

"Wow. Candi, I don't know what to say. He is magnificently handsome. You are so lucky," I said. We sat there silently a moment, each lost in thought regarding our guys. The I said, "I am also dating a singer in a band."

"Really?" Candi said, "K, that's great. Who is he? Is he here?"

"Yes. See that blonde guy over there next to my dad?" I said pointing over by the BBQ.

"Ya," she replied.

"That's him. His name is Bret Michaels. He is the lead singer of his band Poison."

"K, he is seriously hot. How did you guys meet? How long have you been together?" She asked.

"We met at my work. He does deliveries in his spare time to make money, though he and the band just got a record deal. Come on, I'll introduce you." We walked up to Bret. "Bret?" I said to get his attention, placing my hand on his elbow.

Bret smiled down on me, putting an arm around my waist, and giving me a quick kiss. "Hello Minx. What are you up to? I was just here having a great chat with your dad." He spoke to me like he was making love to me, looking into my eyes, consequently I temporarily forgot about Candi, who bumped me bringing me back to reality.

"Bret, I want to introduce my best friend Candi. Candi this is Bret. Candi is Bon Jovi’s publicist."

Candi held out her hand to shake hands and said, "Bret it’s great to meet you."

Bret took her hand and pulled her in close for a quick kiss on the cheek and replied, "Nice to meet you. How long have you and K been friends?"

Candi said, "We’ve been friends since elementary school." Meanwhile, Jon saw Bret kiss Candi, felt his jealousy on the rise, though the kiss looked innocent enough, and moved to stand behind her, placing his hands on her shoulders possessively. Candi looked over her shoulder at Jon and smiled. He kissed her on the lips. Candi moved aside so Jon could move up beside her and introduced the two men.

"Bret." "Jon." They said as they shook hands.
Candi, sensing two dogs squaring off (mostly on Jon’s part) turned to Jon and placed her hands on his chest and said, "K is dating Bret." She could feel Jon relax. Silly men she thought.

I hooked my arm through Candi’s and said, "If you gentleman will excuse us we have some more catching up to do."

************

After awhile I went to find Diane.

"Di’, if you guys are ready, you should go ahead and play a couple of songs. Everyone has had a chance at the food and I wanted everyone to hear you before they left. I think this is a great opportunity for you and the girls. Who knows maybe Candi or Bon Jovi can get you guys started, maybe launch you into the music biz."
"That sure would be cool, Sis, if it happened," Diane replied.

She got the girls together and they tuned up their instruments, attracting everyone's attention. Nikki took a seat on a crate near the entrance to the garage to be close to Diane (and to protect what was his. There where a lot of guys here at the party). The garage faced the backyard acting like an amphitheater......

.....Richie, Dave, Tico and Alec were sitting at a table enjoying the food and beer when they noticed some really cute girls walk by; two brunettes and a blonde (Josie, Laurie and Anita). Richie, thinking to himself, as he watched the brunette with the long, straight, sable colored hair, 'wow, I think I am in love'. He saw her look at him from beneath her lashes, with a sideways glance. She had liquid brown eyes. Richie couldn't keep his eyes off her. Dave tapped him on the arm to get his attention.

"Richie, look at those girls!" Dave whispered, excitedly.

"I know. I want the one with the straight brown hair," Richie said, in a tone that brooked no argument.

"That's OK. I am interested in the other brunette.
 She walks like she has an attitude. You know I like them spunky," Dave said, with a smile on his face.

"It looks like they are going to play," Richie observed.

Diane and the girls played a few songs. Laurie sang a really heavy fast metal song. And then much to Richie's pleasure, Josie sang a soft ballad that really showed off her vocals and guitar playing. Normally Laurie sang most of the songs, but they wrote this for Josie. It really fit her voice talents.

Colleen, Sheree, Michele and I were the only ones who really knew how talented they were, and it made me feel proud at how good they were. And I was beside myself when I looked around and everyone's faces were amazed. Especially my parents as they never really paid attention during their practices. Nikki of course was ga ga over Diane anyway, but the looks on the members of Bon Jovi was priceless. I hoped that boded well for the girls. Jon was pointing and whispering to Candi.

Richie got up and walked over to Jon and Candi and asked, "Candi can you introduce us to the band, the girls who are playing?"

Candi, looking at Richie, could see a gleam in his eye, which meant he had something on his mind. "Sure, I can do that," she said. She walked up to the girls and said, "Diane, the guys in the band would like to meet you girls."

"Cool," Diane said and they all walked over to where the guys were sitting.

Candi said, pointing to the boys, "Ladies, this is Bon Jovi...Jon, Richie, David, Tico and Alec. Gentlemen, this is Twilight...Andrea, Josie, Laurie and Anita."

Jon shook hands with the girls and said, "Ladies, you sound great. You are coming to the record signing on Tuesday?"

"Yes we are. And thank you for inviting us," Diane said.

"You're welcome. It was a pleasure to meet you girls," Jon said. Then Jon took Candi's hand and they walked off. 

Diane went in search of Nikki. Richie had Josie sit next to him, Laurie sat next to Dave and Anita sat with Alec and Tico.

"Anita, I see you play the drums. You're very good. I, too, play drums," Tico said.

"Thank you. You play also, that's great." Pam took Tico's hand and led him to the garage, so they could talk shop. Pam loved talking about playing and getting tips.

About that time Sheree and Michele showed up. "K, sorry we're late," Michele said, then winking at K she said, "I had a hard time getting away from James. He sends his regards."

I smiled. James can be possessive of one's attention, wanting it all to himself. Judging by Sheree's appearance and the fact she likes to sleep in accounted for her lateness. I took them around and introduced them. Alec took a liking to Sheree and had her sit next to him to get better acquainted. Sheree was instantly attracted to him.

"You don't play with the band do you?" he asked.

"No, but I am friends with K. Her sister plays in the band," Sheree replied. "I am a big fan of your group," she said softly, leaning a bit closer to Alec.

"Thank you. Would you like to go out sometime?" Alec asked, placing his hand under hers, holding it.

"Yes," Sheree replied.

Jon came over to Alec and whispered that they needed to leave, so Alec asked, "Sheree, I need to go. Can I get your phone number?"

"Sure," and she got a pen and paper out of her purse and gave him her number.

Meanwhile, Richie had taken Josie's hand and asked her if she wanted to go for a walk. And since we lived in a fairly quiet neighborhood, they encountered few people. They actually walked towards her house since she lived about two blocks away.

"How long have you girls been playing?" Richie asked.

"About two years. We all take music classes at school," Josie replied.

"Have you guys played anywhere?"

"Just local talent shows and the occasional party."

Richie pondered that information, an idea forming. "You are very pretty," Richie said, kissing the back of the hand he was holding, "I think it is love at first sight. I would like to see you again."

"I would like that also," she said, stopping in front of her house. "This is where I live."

"It's a nice house. My house in Jersey is next to a swamp," he commented. "I like the weather here in California," thinking now he had a reason to come back.

Josie looked back down the block and could see someone waving. "I think we need to get back," she said pointing back down the street. Richie and Josie walked back to the van that brought the guys. Richie gave her a kiss and then climbed into the van. 

Laurie was standing next to Josie, when Josie said, still looking at the van, "Laurie, can you spend the night at my house?"

"Yes. I'll just call my parents and let them know."

**


I was standing out by Bret's motorcycle saying goodbye. "Bret, thanks for coming," I said.


"You're welcome. It seems the party went well. It was great meeting Bon Jovi. I had hear a lot about them," Bret said. He pulled me close, put his arms around me and gave me a toe curling kiss. He looked down into my enraptured face and smiled at his prowess. 

All I could say was "Mmmmm..." I looked up into his violet eyes and smiled.

"Well, I'd better go," he said, "I'll call you later."

1 comment: