Thursday, September 13, 2018

Chapter 25


I was home now. My head was better, but my heart was troubled. I was pregnant and had NO IDEA what to do. Tell Bret. Not tell Bret. Tell my parents. WHEN to tell my parents. I decided to drive out to the beach. I didn't want my pacing to alert them that something might be wrong and having them ask questions I wasn't prepared to answer.

The sets were pretty small today and the doctor said I could surf so long as I was careful. So I cruised the small waves trying to get things straight in my mind. I wanted to tell Bret, but I wanted to talk to Michele, Sheree, and Colleen first. Get their input. Oh ya, that's right, Sheree was out of town, so I guess just Michele and Colleen.

I had finished a wave and was sitting on my board waiting my turn for another wave when a fellow female surfer came up and floated next to me. She seemed young, but up close she looked to be a little bit older than me.

"Hi. You're that surfer that got hurt a couple weeks ago, huh?" She asked.

"Ya," I said guardedly.

"My name's Donna, but everyone calls me Hollywood. I saw that run. You were in second up till then. It really sucks that you got hurt. You are really good. Are you going to continue competing?"

"I don't know right now. The doctor said I could surf if I was careful. No hot dogging it." I really didn't know this person, though she seemed friendly enough, and was not about to tell her the real reason. "Oh, my name is Karen, but everyone calls me K."

"Nice to meet you."

"Um, I have to go now," I said. "It was nice to meet you too." Little did I realize that this Donna was going to play a bigger part in my life.

I went to Michele's house first. I didn't see her parents' cars so maybe I lucked out and she was home alone. I knocked, but there was no answer. I could hear loud music so I tried the door and it was unlocked, so I let myself in. I went looking for her. I found Michele in her room listening to music. I knocked on her open door to get her attention.

"Michele!" I said loudly.

"Karen, Hi. What are you doing here? Are you OK?" She asked, concerned, coming over to me. "Should you be driving? You're not seeing double or anything?"

Laughing, thinking that is the least of my worries, said, "No, I'm fine. Though there is something I want to talk to you about."

"OK, Hon, shoot," she said, sitting on her bed.

I paced. "We've been friends forever, right?"

"Right."

"And we can tell each other anything, right?"

"Right. K, is there something wrong? Spit it out."

I took a deep breath and let it out. "I'm pregnant." I was looking at the floor afraid of her reaction, though deep down I knew she would be supportive.

"Oh K......" she said in astonishment. "Are you feeling OK?" she asked.

"Ya. For the most part. Sometimes I throw up in the morning," I replied, pacing again.

"Have you told your parents? Is it Bret's? Of course it's Bret's, duh. Are you going to tell him? What are you going to do?" Michele rattled off.

"No, I haven't told my parents. Yes it is Bret's and no, I have no idea what I am going to do," I said feeling stressed, scared and unsure of anything. "Michele, that's why I came here. To see you and to talk to you, and see what the best thing to do is."


"It's alright, K. We'll work it out," Michele said.

It was about a week later.....

Colleen and I were driving to Vegas. Poison was playing there and I had decided to tell him. I had already told my parents.

"Thanks for going with me Colleen. I really appreciate it. I am not sure how Bret will react and I can use the support."

"No prob, K. I wanted to see Bobby anyway. I wonder, too, how Bret will take it. He didn't seem like a bad guy and he did say he loved you. So, did you tell your parents?"

I sighed, "I did. For the most part they were cool, but very disappointed. At least they're not kicking me out or anything."

"That's cool."

"Yes, but I have been thinking of getting my own place eventually," I said.

It was very late when we got into Vegas and found where the guys were playing, both of us not quite sure how we were going to get in, as we hadn't bought tickets or anything. But, luck be a lady tonight, one of the road crew we knew was outside by the buses and he got us in backstage. He showed us which way to go and went back to what he was doing.

Colleen and I walked quietly down a poorly lit hallway and as we turned a corner we came upon a couple fucking up against the wall. Falling back behind the corner, standing quietly so as not to disturb them. But I heard a "Ooohh Bret" and couldn't resist a peek, and looked around the corner. It was Bret. Long blond hair, undone pants, and all. My heart was breaking. I grabbed Colleen's hand and ran back the way we came.

"K, what's wrong?"

"Colleen. That was Bret."

We stopped by the door where we came in at, to catch our breath. I was crying, tears rolling down my face....

"I can't stay. I am going to go back home," I said with a hiccup. "I am sorry to drag you all the way out here. Do you want to stay and see Bobby? Or go? PLEASE don't tell Bobby. I don't want Bret to know," I said desperately.

"K. It's OK. I won't tell Bobby. And since we just date anyway, his prowling doesn't bother me. I can see him anytime. Let's go someplace. Get something to eat. OK? You need to keep up your strength."

We left to go to one of those hotel restaurant places that are open all night.. We were seated at a booth and the waitress brought menus and water. By that time I had myself under control.

"So what are you going to do now?" She asked.

"I suppose with my parent's help I will be OK. I'll have the baby, raise it. Get myself my own place. I'll be OK."

"Are you ever gonna tell Bret?" She asked between bites of her food.

"I don't know. Maybe. Probably. Not now. I don't want to trap him or make him stay with me if he really doesn't want too, or if he really didn't love me. You know deep down I probably knew we wouldn't be together always, but the romantic in me wished it to be so. He's famous now and obviously enjoying all that comes with it...to the fullest!" I said somewhat sarcastic at the end.

"I was hoping the same for you. I thought Bret would stick it out. I mean he seemed to really love you....sat there that whole time that night at the hospital," she said.

"I know. But I don't want him to know, so don't tell Bobby. Gosh I'm repeating myself," I said dropping my head into my hands.

Chuckling Colleen said, trying to change the subject, "K, it's OK, I won't tell. I think we need to talk about SHOPPING!"

I laughed, "The girls will love that."

No comments:

Post a Comment