Monday, September 10, 2018

Chapter 21


I managed to catch a few hours of sleep, getting up to take a shower at 6. In the bathroom I had started the water when I was hit by a wave of nausea. Unable to control it, I threw up in the toilet. I had no idea why I threw up. Maybe I was just nervous about the competition.



By the time I got to the beach where the contest was held it was 8 am. I staked out a spot on the beach and watched the waves. The sets weren't bad. There weren't a lot of people here yet, so I decided to do a few practice runs. Afterwards, I walked back to the beach and went in search of the officials so I could sign in.



I managed to find a place in the shade of a lifeguard tower to wait my turn to compete, when I heard..."K-aaayyy!." "K-aaayyy!" I turned to look and saw Michele and Sheree. I was so happy someone came to watch.



"Hey!" I said enthusiastically, hugging both of them. "I am so glad you came. I thought I was going to be all alone."

"We wouldn't miss this for the world. You're our best friend," Sheree said.


"Aaannddd..." Michele said, "I brought you a surprise."


"What?" I asked excitedly.


She turned and pointed. There coming towards me, larger than life....JAMES!


"Oh my God! Michele! How?!"


"I called him and told him to get his awesome butt down here."


I hugged her and went running towards James and flung myself at him. "James! I can't believe you're here!"


"Stickgirl," he said swinging me around. "I wouldn't miss it. Don't forget what I taught you. I don't want you embarrassing me," He said sarcastically.


"I won't," laughing as he set me back on my feet.


"When is it your turn to compete?"


"Somewhere around noon. I am in the amateur females 16 to 20."


"Awesome."


We all sat down to watch the other surfers while waiting for my turn.



***************
I was out in the water, straddling my board, waiting my turn, one of the girls just went on her second run. After the first run I was in second and totally stoked. It was now my turn. I paddled strong, caught the wave and had just stood up when I was hit in the head with a surfboard. Everything went black as I hit the water.


Sheree and Michele screamed and pointed. James ran full tilt to the water and dove in, followed by the lifeguards. Michele ran to the officials to have them call an ambulance. James found me and carried me to the beach. One of the lifeguards performed CPR and even though I coughed up water, I was still unconscious.


James, totally pissed, walked up to the officials and yelled, "That was fucking bullshit! That bitch had better feel some consequences of her actions. If she doesn't know the rules and can't pay attention, she shouldn't surf!" And then walked away before he beat the crap outta someone and he didn't need that kind of publicity.


He saw K on a stretcher as the carried her to the ambulance. His eyes started tearing and his heart felt like it was breaking. Secretly he thought of her as a little sister...his best friend. "FUCK," he thought. Sheree was going to ride in the ambulance and James and Michele would follow, bringing K's truck and board.


"This is so fucked," James growled as he drove after the ambulance.


Michele said, "I am sure she will be fine. K has a hard head."


"Ya, well, it better be," he said through gritted teeth (or someone will pay).


Sheree called K's parents and told them to come to the emergency room. Michele talked to James about finding Bret.


"James, I don't know how to get a hold of Bret. He and K are dating. Do you think with your connections, your people can call his people and get him down here?"


"I don't know but I will try." So James went to call people.


Michele and Sheree sat out in the waiting room area, while the doctors worked on K. "I can't stand this waiting," Michele said, "I am going to see if I can find out anything" She walked up to the nurse and asked, "Can you tell me how Karen Olsen is doing? She was the one in the surfing accident."


The nurse replied, "I can only give information to family members."


"I am her foster sister," Michele lied easily.


"Let me go check," The nurse said. Coming back a few minutes later and said, "She's going to be OK. She has a concussion and is still unconscious. The doctor feels she should be awake within a couple of days. You can see her shortly."


"Thanks," Michele said, then related the info to Sheree. By the time they could see her, Karen's mom showed up. She hugged Michele, Sheree and James. As they stood around K's bed she asked, "What happened?"


James replied heatedly, "K was in second place after her first run and when she took off for her second run, some chick took off at the same time, which she shouldn't have, fell, and her board went flying hitting K in the head. I went in after her and she wasn't breathing. The lifeguards did CPR and got her breathing, but she still hadn't woken up." James ran a hand through his hair in agitation and mumbled, "Damn, I need a drink." 

Michele patted his arm in understanding, asking if he got a hold of Bret. James said that he had and he would be there as soon as he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment